Apr 6, 2012

A Mother's Sacrifice?



I used to write for ABS-CBN "The Filipino Channel". And part of my work was to read some of the thousands of emails from working Filipinos worldwide.

Many of the letters I read came from Filipino mothers who left their children in PH to work abroad just so they can afford a private school education for their young ones. Because I was writing for television, the medium had a duty to comfort its audience and it make it feel better. In my script, I will write nothing but praises for the hard working sacrificing mothers who chose to leave their children in PH.

But deep inside of me, I disagreed with the whole setup.

Because for me, a Filipino child studying in a lowly, decrepit public school whose loving mother was always there for him is in a much better position than someone in a private school who never grew up with a mother.

No comments: